Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

humility and art



“As soon as you think you’ve found it, you’ve lost it.
As soon as you’ve lost it, you’ve found it again.”
 















I heard this quote by a pastor a few years ago in a sermon he was preaching, on Humility, and my love for snappy sayings has kept it firmly in my memory bank. I’ve been thinking a lot about Humility lately… or in the past few days rather, in the aftermath of thought that’s come out of this post.

Blogging is a funny thing. Such a funny thing, in fact, that every blog I’ve had over the years has ended up having a post remarkably similar to this one. On the one hand, I revel in the space I’ve created here: you know the one: where I can craft my words exactly how I want to. On the other hand, I wonder what it’s like to be someone that doesn’t know me and come across this written piece of mind. An interesting thought; one I’ve been considering, obviously.

I suppose I wonder where Blogging crosses over into Narcissism, or if these two things are irrevocably one and the same. I certainly hope they can be seperated – and hope to keep those boundary lines as far apart as I can. As tempted as I am to worry about whether or not I’ll cross this line (or if I’ve crossed it already), I won’t (at least, not for long). To soothe my waning conscience I keep thinking about dancers and painters and violin-concerto-ists… the first group dances, the second group paints, and the third group rips their fingers up to learn the music. In short: dancers dance, painters paint, and musicians play music – they do this if they’re all alone, or if the world is watching. It becomes a part of who they are, and even when they miss a note or trip onstage, it doesn’t change the fact that this is what they do to breathe. They show their work because it’s theirs and not because it’s perfect. I suppose it can also be decided, then, that writers who write to breathe must also keep on writing, regardless of what gets dropped on the pages.




I wonder
 how little art
there would be in the world
if perfection
and compliance
were the only motivations
for creating.


both art pieces taken from www.lilymoonhome.blogspot.com
girl is created by lilymoon -see blog
little bird is a creation by little doodles. find more of her stuff on etsy.


No comments: