Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

a movie called Holly.

I considered not writing a post right now - it would be easier to write once my emotions are all safely behind me (by at least a few hours). But, as it stands, I am at my computer and typing anyways.

There have been a group of stand-out moments in my life that have absolutely broken my heart beyond a degree I know what to "do with". When I was little, it was the annual telethon. When I was in college, it was the book I read on a certain child-abusing cult. A few years ago, it was my study of the Rwandan genocide. Tonight, it was a movie called Holly. Holly takes a very close and honest (heartbreaking) look at human sex trafficking, gives it a name and a heartbeat, and asks some very comfort-threatening questions.



I am wrecked.
The problem with these moments is that they are so massive that I really do feel incapacitated underneath them. I am not a girl opposed to discomforting emotions though, and I think we're often too quick to look for something to do so that we don't have to feel as bad for as long. Perhaps, though, the least I can do in my blessed-little-life is grieve genuinely, and not rush myself into a happier more comfortable state of being. And then in that grief find hope, and learn how to respond.

I will be sorting through this movie's story (and the truth of it) for a long time to come. As hard as it was to watch (this is not a movie that will get easier with time or repetition, either), I am going to suggest that you watch it. This is a conversation that needs to happen way more often. This movie was not sensationalized; though it is a "movie" it is still reality. The same organization (the K11 project and Priority Films) actually filmed a documentary called The Virgin Harvest at the exact same time as Holly. This is real. This actually happens, is happening, will happen if we who aren't enslaved by others continue to turn a blind eye. I wonder what would happen if, instead of saying "I don't know how to fix it, I will therefore do nothing" we said "I don't know how to fix it...but I am going to do something."

(as you likely know, this isn't just a "foreign" issue - plenty of this going on right here at home.
Something to think about?)

No comments: