Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

pushing back the deadline

Many of you will remember that November 2009 was quite a busy month for me! I participated in something called NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), and consequently disappeared from view for all of November, largely without warning. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I am happy to say that although I started late, I finished early: after only 25 days (and only 19 days of actual writing), I finished. When I was done, I fully planned on having the book printed & available to read by the end of February. I even promised you that! But as it turns out, life-after-NaNo has taken more getting used to than I originally thought it would.


In the space between November and Now, I have edited the manuscript only once by skimming through the pages, and I have let 4 willing test subjects give the book a read through (mostly to see if they survived). Soon, I plan on being the 5th reader and scrutinizing the pages a lot more thoroughly than I did the first time. Originally, I didn’t think I would care that much about making the book better. “It is what it is: I wrote it in 19 days!” …but as it turns out, I do care; months of delays and apprehensions have told me so! Now is the time, however, and I’ve started working this project back into my brain and schedule – so I can finish it before the next November starts.

I currently have the book out for editing in Ontario, in the hands of a beloved friend (who happens to be very intelligent in the ways of English lit). When I get it back from her in a few weeks, I will start my own process: the dreaded re-write. Ugh. I know this is a good thing, but I already gave birth to you; this child had better be twice as pretty at the end of this second labour! Once the book has been made over, reformed, torn up, and re-built, I will be sending it off to the printers (self-publish) and hopefully, to amazon.

So, dear friends, that is the update. Quite a few of you have been asking me oh-so-sweetly-and-kindly when you can give the book a read-through, and I’m not sure I’ve been able to give any of you a solid answer! So I came here today to tell you that you will be able to read it by…(*searches calendar, looking frantically for a deadline*)…Mid-may, I imagine. Late-May, and the late-latest (I think).

In related news: I could really use an extended, paid vacation.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

What is your book about?

afterthoughtcomposer said...

excellent question! It's a book about a girl (a character who's inspiration for a personality was largely from yours truly) - she's 26 and realizing that her life is absolutely nothing like she thought it would be, and so she sets off to try and make her life as exciting as she thinks it should be.

It could, quite possibly, be the most typical type of story. It could also be a boring read... I'm interested while I read it, but I wrote it, so that makes sense :) No pressure to enjoy the book when it comes out! haha.

Elise said...

I would like to take this moment to congratulate you on completing your NaNoWriMo. Seriously. Even if the post-process is less thrilling than the 19 days of 'BAM', you DID IT. While many start, many stop, and you didn't. Really, good on ya! I look forward to picking up a copy when it is all done up and pretty!