Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

maybe I'm not a writer.

...


Maybe I’m not a writer. The more involved I get into other facets of creativity, like painting and sketching and hands-on-creating, the less moved I am to write. I feel kind of weird about it; like I’ve created this pressure field around me where people expect me to have thoughts on paper, and I expect me to have thoughts on paper…and all I want to do is take naps, eat popcorn, drink wine with the sunset and cuddle up to future plans...and doodle; I do a lot of doodling these days.

I'm feeling a little out of sorts.

3 comments:

Mama said...

That's ok. You can take breaks and come back to it. Relax.

.................................................................. said...

You are a writer. And a painter. And a doodler. And a seamstress. And a ..... You are talented in many areas! Don't try to define yourself by any one of those small aspects of who you are and what you can do.

Define yourself as a CREATOR instead.

Spiro said...

titles are always tough for me. i don't like to be called a "photographer" even though it's what I do for a living.

I've come to the conclusion that what's best for me is to pursue whatever it is my spirit needs. Van Gogh said it well: "The creative power cannot be repressed, one must give vent to what one feels.”

Or like Elihu, Job's wise friend, "I am full of words, and the spirit within me compels me; inside I am like bottled-up wine, like new wineskins ready to burst. I must speak and find relief; I must open my lips and reply."

although a paycheck sometimes becomes incentive too...