Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

high point conundrum

Since January, I have made it a goal to name a daily high point. Specifically, I decided to take a picture of my high point every day. Those of you in my closer circle will have seen the odd picture here and there, and for those of you who haven’t seen the pictures, I promise you haven’t missed much: food item, food item, sunset, food item, food item, sunset (to sum it up). When I started this practice back in January, I was using it as a motivational tool to kick my S.A.D in the rear; to give myself a daily purpose (small though it may be, it still felt like something). To be entirely honest, I wasn’t even sure I would be able to find a high point every single day (I blame you, Winter's Din). Soon, though, the sun came up, and I realized there were too many high points to pick just one per day.

Specifically, I began to notice a trend, and I admit it was a bit of a surprise. My daily high points, at their finest, aren’t captureable in pictures. The pictures I have taken are at the slower times of the day; in my cubicle after lunch, in my living room after dinner. The better ones (the uh…the ones not relating to food, I mean) usually come when I am out and about and moving; enjoying life, not staring at it. How do you put a conversation into a camera? How do you squeeze a hug into the frame? You don’t; and that, I suppose, is something I’m not sure I expected.

Harry and his brood of Dinosaurs.


The other day, for example, I was chillin’ with my buddy Seth (he’s 4). We were watching Harry and his Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, snuggled under a blanket on the couch while he ate his brie and crackers. “Water please” he says. Okay, Sethy. The cartoon is simple and amusing; the boy and his dinosaurs race around on wheely machines to try and go FAST, or FASTER, as they learn about gravity and speed. Most of the vehicles are impressive looking, with lights and colors and chrome, but poor Steggy (um, the Stegasaurus, hello) is in a wooden log with wheels on it; he doesn’t go quite as fast as the others; he can’t catch up. Plus, the thing keeps falling apart! At one point, it’s not even a vehicle, it's just Steggy, on wheels. Have you ever heard a 4 year old laugh so hard he can’t breathe because the dinosaur’s tires keep falling off his log-car? If not, you’re missing out.

And what of the letter that arrived on my step yesterday from Natalie, my childhood best? It was the high point, but it was because my friend is thoughtful (today’s high point: Natalie is thoughtful), and also because of the really cool feeling I got while reading it: I’m loved, and I have the coolest friends ever. A picture of an envelope doesn’t quite cut it, and in a way, felt like cheating.

So I am still looking for high points, and I am finding more than I thought would be there, and I am humbled by that realization. But more often than not, the pictures I take will probably look like this:


Today's High Point: someone just brought me a donut.


…Although…free donut? That’s gotta count for something.
.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Surprise! *grin*