Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Your Vancouver Plans: The Great Divorce

.
You might have to hurry up on this one. Pacific Theatre is currently showing an adaptation of The Great Divorce by CS Lewis; the show runs until June 18. You want to buy tickets. You want to see it. You want your mind to go *poof!*

I’ve never actually read the book and did not know what to expect when I walked in the doors. Actually, I only kind of figured it was a book, and as we were watching the play I thought it sounded like it was probably a book, and after the play I turned to my lovely neighbor and said “this is a book, right?” However! I do not need to have read it to tell you that this adaptation is worth every one of the pennies you’ll spend on your ticket price. The characters are full and believable, sinking into their roles with panache and grace. The set design and the atmosphere are simple enough to let you imagine the rest, and detailed enough to let you know what you’re supposed to imagine. And the costumes are…well, they’re delicious (but I do have a penchant for almost anything made with tulle, so I could be a little biased on that one). 


Riding the bus toward Heaven.
image taken from the Pacific Theatre Facebook page


"Every poet and musician and artist, but for Grace, is drawn away from the love of the thing he tells, to the love of the telling till, down in Deep Hell, they cannot be interested in God at all but only in what they say about Him"

— C.S. Lewis (The Great Divorce)
.
.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Love from Portland!