Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

giddy, nervous

.
As a part of my ever redundant plan to get serious, I listened to Don Miller, and ordered books off Amazon. On his list of seven suggested books to read in order to become a better writer, I chose three. On Writing, by Stephen King, was my first selection. I've never read a Stephen King book, to be honest, but the guy obviously knows what he's doing. I figure his advice will be worth the 288 pages. The second book I chose was The War of Art, by Steven Pressfield. Genetically speaking, my Artful self and I are always in some sort of battle. More often than not, a quizzical expression overtakes me as I think about writing; it's all I want to do, and yet, I don't do it very often. I am hoping this book will provide the necessary kick in the ass, as the front cover promises.

The third book I picked was chosen with a certain amount of trepidation. Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott. Anne is, without a doubt, my absolute favorite author of all time. So why the hesitation? I've only read one of her books. One was all I needed, though, to fall: both in love with, and humiliatingly aware of how far I am from her gifting as a writer. I am unsure my self esteem can take another 236 pages of Anne's brilliant grace. But, seeing as this is her book on writing, I figure I should give it a go.
.

yippee!! Books!!


.

No comments: