Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

FINISHED! Sort of.



Well folks, last night I completed what may go down in history as the longest process ever. I finished the re-type. That's right! My really terrible first book is ready to send off to the editors. Now all I need are some editors. Or one? Is one enough?

Ran into an interesting conundrum as I typed the last word yesterday evening; this book is short; only 89 Word document pages single spaced. Approximately fifteen thousand words were cut out between the first draft and now. I erased whole characters, subplots, paragraphs. I am resisting the urge to go back and add things back in, taking into account #3:





It should be mentioned, of course, that if I add a bunch of spaces in at the beginning of each chapter, like in a real book, then the overall length increases to 100 pages. Just to be sure, and to aid my fledgling self esteem, I Googled "Books that are 100 pages" and came across a list of books that are only 100 pages long; among which are The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which I hear are pretty fantastic.

Also, the page numbers will increase even more later on, as my book probably won't be printed on 8.5x11" paper. Unless I want it to look like some high-school kid's English project. It will read like a mediocre student's essay, but at least it might look prettier. These are all things I have to keep telling my dorky mind. Also: good books aren't necessarily measured by page number. Also, you probably spent about two minutes reading this post. Also, you will never get those two minutes back.



.

2 comments:

anita said...

Best 2 minutes I've spent all day. CONGRATS! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! I'll be begging you for an autographed copy at some point. Just letting you know.

Mama said...

Yes! Autographed copy for me too! Do you have a title? A cover idea? Can't wait.