Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

the Platform Predicament


I've been in conversation with my editor friends, and others, including many people in-the-know at SiWC2012, about the future of my writing. What I've learned from them is this: writers who hope to be published one day need a platform before that can happen.

The predicament is as follows: I am not publishable, not by any stretch. I'm not sure I need a platform; not yet, anyway. I don't know what "platform" in this context actually means. I have a soapbox. Does that count?

Anyway, I checked out a few people with "platforms" and saw they had websites with their name all over them, facebook and twitter profiles, and a list of speaking engagements. I don't really want to talk to the public about my inability to finish books, so, as of twenty two minutes ago, afterthoughtcomposer's footprint (and soapbox) has expanded. I've created a facebook page. Just think, instead of having to guess when I've posted, you could get an update right to your newsfeed! And instead of just having the option to leave comments here...you can now leave comments there OH MY GOSH YOU ARE SO LUCKY.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last line made me laugh out loud. Gold

Mama said...

I don't understand why you are not publishable. Who decides?