Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

what i would say to you

Your pain will never matter to them.
     You are fodder.
          You are candy for the taking. You are seen as small and sweet
           to greedy hands, to mouths who long to feed, teeth that yearn
           for another bite; bitter tongues that crave the high of another
                    one's unwrapping.

But they don't know you like I do.
They've not seen that you aren't a small thing. They don't know
you are the whole damn store; take as they might, they will never really get you.

Children chase after the instant gratification of found sweets,
but my dear,
you are an entire feast, and their bellies will explode before they reach your center.

I have watched them take
take
take

but honey, I've been watching you, too.

I have seen the way you magnify under pressure.
I have seen you rally against fear.
I have heard your bones creak as they grow to the rafters, incapable as you are
of being kept to the ground.


Am I mixing analogies? Let me be clear. You are a giant, my dear. Your lineage was severed because
they are too small to be a part of you. You were birthed and released, so wear those wings with joy.

You are a flame and the moths are drawn to you. But remember, moths can only consume
what is not already on fire, and you are that flame: higher and higher. Your life is big
and your heart has the universe and stars inside it
                       (so reach for those, love, and leave the mud of earth behind you).
                                              Your children rise
                                               to call you blessed
                                               so let the awful do their best, then know this:
                                               they can not touch you.


No comments: